Thursday, October 11, 2012

ready, set, GO!

Well, I guess I'm officially a student. Yes, my massage therapy studies started on Tuesday. I made my back-to-school debut in style. 

(And with a great big smile on my face. The best accessory of all, don't you think?)



This is how you'll find me Monday through Thursday nights. Totally rocking the black uniform shirt, the black pants, even some new black Sketchers shoes.

It's all about getting into a professional mindset, they tell us.

I've got all my supplies, too. 

This is all part of the excitement, my friends.

All outfitted with my towels, a nice down filled blanket, sheets for my table (which comes in a few weeks. Whoo-hoo!!), as well as the oils and lotions that were provided to all the students.

And all these textbooks that I'll need to find shelf space for.

There are nineteen of us in the class. They say we'll become a family. I guess it would be impossible not to, being with these people for a whole year four nights a week. Studying and learning together. Giving and receiving massage to and from each other. 

I'm finding that I'm the oldest in the class as most students are in their twenties. Maybe I'll become sort of a mom figure, but I have a feeling we'll all learn from each other. Be there for each other. Growing to trust one another. This means a lot to me.

Our program will last a full year. Course work will include the following: (the first four classes rotated this first quarter)

  • Core (massage theory, technique)
  • Professional Development
  • Anatomy and Physiology
  • Reflexology
  • Pathology for the Massage Therapist
  • Acupressure
  • Shiatsu
  • Cranial-Sacral therapy
  • Sports Massage
  • Russian Sports Massage
  • Movement and Structural bodywork
  • Trigger Point Theory and Rehabilitation 
  • Business Mastery
  • Clinical Internship (starting in the spring)
I really don't think most people have any idea what goes into becoming a massage therapist. I'm especially intimidated with the huge emphasis and work that will be involved with the anatomy classes, but I keep telling myself that if anybody can learn it, I know I'm just as capable. (That's what I would tell my kids, anyway.)

I'm just so excited for this new journey I'm setting out on. I just love to learn. I love to help others. I love the idea that I have the potential to literally change people's lives. To be able to influence others (and this includes myself) on such profound and immediate way, whether it's on a physical, emotional, or spiritual level. That is just so meaningful to me and it feels very right for my life's mission, purpose, and fulfillment. To, hopefully, become a living example and role model to my kids on achieving goals, working hard, following their dreams, and the value of an education. (This is huge.) If I could teach them anything, this would be near the top of my list in my role as their mother.

So I woke up yesterday, the morning after my first night at class with that feeling in my heart like a child anticipating Christmas morning, or a trip to Disneyland- giddy, excitement, and sheer joy filling my heart. That experience laying in my bed like that was a gift.

But with all these feelings, there is transition that is taking place. Trying to wrap my brain around the idea that my presence in the evenings will no longer be felt here at home with my family. Their adjustment to this, as well as mine, will take some time. It's not an easy thing to do, even and despite the fact that nothing will really change in my daytime routine. Still at home most days, still on call for my kids, still volunteering, continuing the work as a homemaker and mother...

Also, the transition to being in a student mindset. Reading, assignments, tests, exams, being graded, not being tardy... Wow, it's been twenty two years since I've been in this place. I know it will take some stretching. Getting out of this place that's been my comfort zone for so long. It will take endurance and faith and courage when the days seem challenging and long. 

Can I do this? 

Through it all, I know I'll need to hold onto the commitment that I've made to myself. The vision I have for who I am and my place in the world. The gentle nudging I felt deep down in my soul from a loving, understanding, and generous Heavenly Father. The door that was so miraculously opened for my growth. The belief and support from my loving family and friends. 

Oh, how I'll cling to this.

So I say "Yes!" and "Thank you!" to this wonderful, growing opportunity that's mine.

Onward and upward, I say!