Saturday, March 2, 2013

journaling bits


 
cooking:: Isaac begged me to make waffles this morning for breakfast. It's been awhile and it's the weekend so it just seemed right.
 
feeling and noticing:: The temperatures have risen these last few days. The air softer, if you know what I mean. I just couldn't resist the chance of going on a long walk this morning. (A run still is out of the question.) Gone for an hour. Strolling along, taking my time, arms swinging by my sides.The warm sun shining down on my head. Lifting my face and just basking, soaking it all in like a dried out sponge. Birdsong heard in the air. Patches of snow melting, bits of new green growth spied along the dirt paths I trod. This did my soul so much good., I can't even tell you.
 
smiling:: That walk literally brought a contented smile to this face. Also something else from Friday that is still lingering in my mind. The girl who cuts my hair-- and moved to another salon and who I haven't seen for a couple of months because I didn't know where she was-- well, while I was laying on that table getting my eyebrows waxed, she told me what "perfect, pretty skin" I have. She went on and on and I blushed. Ever since I changed my ways of eating, other people have commented and noted this same phenomena. Just another benefit to a plant based diet, I guess. 
 
noticing:: The wave of the stranger who drove by while I was on that walk this morning. He introduced himself to me a couple of years ago at Walmart. "Oh, you're that running lady!" I see you out on the road everyday." I used to see him almost everyday from then on, him waving or giving a friendly honk. And then my running time changed and I'd hardly see him anymore. Today's wave and smile bringing even more sunshine to this soul.
 
outing:: I needed to send Gary's birthday package off today. His birthday (22 years) will be on Tuesday. It's a little late, but it took him just until last email to get back to me with some suggestions and ideas of what he'd like. Along with some other incidentals, Jane baked him some peanut butter cookies and Isaac and I picked out a 3 in 1 "Creator" Lego set-- his special request granted. Here he is, a grown man who will never outgrow these beloved toys of his childhood. "...to put on my desk and wind down with after nightly planning ." Anyway, I almost keeled over when I heard that it would cost me close to 100 smackaroos to send this little birthday package (US Postal Service standard rate) off to Finland. Totally worth it, though.
 
reading:: Really enjoying my book stack from this week. Katrina Kennison's Magical Journey: An Apprenticeship in Contentment was one that a blog reader recommended (thanks, Jacquline!) to me. I've connected so deeply to this author's other works and this one addressing the empty nest years of a mother's life expresses so much to so many unspoken feelings of my own midlife journey.  
 
viewing:: Sweet Land. An indie movie Jane's roommate recommended to me last week when we went to lunch. (You can find it on Netflix.) Loved this film.
 
listening:: this song . So sweet.

... If you were a wink, I'd be a nod.
If you were a seed, well I'd be a pod.
If you were the floor, I'd wanna be the rug.
And if you were a kiss, I know I'd be a hug.


If you were the wood, I'd be the fire.
If you were the love, I'd be the desire.
If you were a castle, I'd be your moat,
And if you were an ocean, I'd learn to float...


telling:: My mp3 player has disappeared. Gone with the wind. Lent it out to one of the kids a couple of weeks ago and since then we've searched the couch cushions a hundred times. It's come down to telling them I'll take the blessed finder out to lunch. No questions asked. (a $10.00 value! I say.) I'm desperate.
 
celebrating:: Told Gary we'd celebrate his birthday (long distance style) whether he's here or if he's not. All of us out to Chinese tonight in his honor and tomorrow after dinner we'll sing "Happy Birthday" with angel food cake, whipped cream, and strawberries. His request every single year. *s n i f f*.
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Makes me smile. :) Love the little glimpses into moments.

    ReplyDelete