Tuesday, May 7, 2013

breakfast pudding: what to do with last night's leftover rice



This is so good.

I'm pretty sure I've shared this with you before. I'm almost sure I did even after doing a Google search of my own blog. Even though I couldn't track it down to be sure, I still thought that this idea might be new for some of you. (Some things are worth repeating.) I say idea instead of recipe because it's really more of a concept than a genuine recipe with exact proportions and measurements. Sometimes cooking is just by feel, rather than following a specific outline. Know what I mean?

By kids beg for this. It's a hit around here. Seems right for a breakfast-- warming and nourishing-- but could easily stand in for a comforting, yummy dessert instead.

Most of us make too much rice at dinner time and then wonder what to do with the leftovers the next day. (Leftover rice at my house is never a problem, though.) Here's your solution.

It's simple:

Take your leftover cold rice (brown or white, sticky or Basmati-- it's all good.) and put it in a saucepan on the stove. Pour a can of coconut milk over. (Find canned coconut milk in the Asian section of your grocery store. I buy it by the case at Oriental markets for a better deal.) Depending on the amount of rice, you may need to add a little more liquid (or less coconut milk) such as almond milk, rice milk, or dairy milk to thin it out a little. You want it to be a little soupy, as the rice will absorb the milk. Turn the heat on to medium. Add a dash of salt, some cinnamon to taste, and some drizzles of real maple syrup or agave nectar to sweeten to your liking. You could use brown sugar or Sucanat (a less refined sugar you can find at the health food store) if you'd like.

Allow the pudding to come to a gentle boil and then immediately turn the heat to low until the rice softens, starts absorbing the liquid, and the mixture thickens slightly. After about 15 minutes, it should be just about right. Remove from the heat and add about a teaspoon or so of vanilla, depending on how much rice and milk you are cooking. The pudding will thicken as it cools. Again, you may need to thin it out with a little more milk.

I like to eat this with sliced bananas, almonds, and a little bit of coconut sprinkled over top. A little more milk poured on is good, too.

Please make this, friends. Something cozy. Something filling. A special treat all rolled into one bowl of comforting goodness.

You will be so happy.

2 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy I think I would drizzle a little honey. I am from the south (Louisiana) and the bread of choice for dinner was cornbread. Yummy golden and sweet. For breakfast the following day my grandmother would crumble some in a bowl, put some butter and honey and warm milk. So good.
    Thanks for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona, my Dad grew up in Louisiana and like you, he loves a good last night's dinner cornbread the next morning for breakfast-- kind of dry and then crumbled up in a bowl with milk on top.(rmember eating that as a child, as well.) It's his special treat. For him, rice is never sweet!

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete