Saturday, August 31, 2013

in the air



I can sense it... 

Without me and
within me:

Cool, crisp mornings. 
Mountainside dotted with beginnings of autumnal color. 
Light slanting golden and warm. 
Sunflower blooms on the side of a country road. 
Late season storms rolling in. 
The children all settled, back to their school rhythms. 
The gentle flow and transition from one season to the next. 

My favorite time of the year.

I've always considered  late August and September a time of new beginnings. Probably more so than springtime. My mind becomes filled with plans and ideas and home and new routines. With all the activity of summer, I find this a time to slowly go inward. And with them gone all day now, I'm easing into my own. 

Hunkering down to serious study. 
Taking myself to lunch. 
Getting back to my yoga and meditation practice. 
Finding a more consistent pattern in my running.
Easier with the morning routine that's automatically set up.
Feeling the need to cozy.
Lighting the candle at mealtime.
Soup for supper.
New pillows on the couch to nestle into. 
New mug found today at the craft fair. 
All of us agreeing it will be the perfect vessel for a nice cup of tea or hot chocolate on cool mornings and quiet evenings.

I will enjoy these last few weeks of summer, though. Looking forward to Monday's hike with the kids. Welcoming and relishing in the harvest of other's gardens and letting go of the failure that was our own. Letting go of the way this summer was different from other summer times in years past. 

Ah, so much letting go and all the while, embracing change.

Change is the one constant, I'm learning.

2 comments:

  1. That's what I did today took my self to lunch while I took my van to inspection...I am glad you embrace change Emily. Beautiful pictures! This garden year wasn't that good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in September, so this month is always, always a time of rebirth for me. Change is indeed constant, and I find great comfort in that, and this time of year it's painted in gold.

    I'm so happy you have this blog. I'm not using Facebook anymore, so I love that I can still find you here. I hope to run in to you soon!

    Love and Friendship,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete