Monday, November 25, 2013

peanut butter popcorn: a family night treat





Around here, Monday night is Family Night.
Kind of like the night's reserved just for us.
We've made it an important part of our family culture from the very beginning.
We do our best to make it happen, even though one or more of us might be away.
Some nights are more successful than others, if you know what I mean.
Sometimes our evenings might have a story, a lesson, a discussion, or a time for planning.
Maybe it might involve an outing, a game, 
a movie, or a project.
There are some things we always do, too. 
We read and talk about a section of scripture.
We always sing a hymn or other song at the beginning of our time and then at the end.
We open and close with prayer, as well.
We all take turns.

Tonight, we had french toast and fruit for supper.
I lit the candle.
We read aloud our missionary kids emails from last night and this morning.
After we did our usual opening routine, 
(while Isaac did a professional job of giving me a scalp massage)
we made a list of activities we want to do throughout the month of December.
We have lots of plans.
Almost all of them are things we do every year.
It just wouldn't be Christmas without these family traditions.

Family Night just wouldn't be Family Night without a treat.
So tonight I went into the kitchen and popped some corn on the stove.
Isaac reminded me that I haven't made peanut butter popcorn in a long time.
It's always been a favorite with us.
It's kind of a good fit for fall.
You should try it sometime.

I was just going to post the recipe,
but then I remembered that I already posted it awhile back
when I made it for the Cub Scouts.
Here it is, anyway.
(I guess it's good enough for a repeat.) 


Peanut Butter Popcorn

10-12 cups popped popcorn
1 cup dry sweetener (any kind will do)
1 cup honey, maple syrup, agave, or corn syrup. (I haven't used corn syrup in years. You could also do half and half like I did with honey and maple syrup.)
1 cup peanut butter
1 t. vanilla

In a saucepan, combine dry sweetener and liquid sweetener. Stir constantly and bring to a boil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over popcorn and stir well. (I like to pour this onto a cookie sheet and let it set up a little.)

It's really best to eat this when it's still warm and chewy.


3 comments:

  1. This looks yum-o!!! I think I will try it, but by "dry sweentenr", do you mean "sugar", or sugar alternative? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona: I've used white sugar, evaporated cane juice crystals, brown sugar, and Sucanat. All good. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up on my blog reading and spied this post I missed. Oh dear, pb popcorn! I will just have to try. I make my own sweet and salty kettle corn and we all love it. Your family ritual is just lovely. I think you must like peanut butter, I noticed at your family thanksgiving a delicious looking chocolate pb pie! Yum!

    ReplyDelete