Wednesday, December 4, 2013

i am an artist



there are so many roles 
i play and have played
in this life.

which of them,
i've asked myself over and over,
defines me best.

there's an essence,
though,
that encompasses
all,
i've found.

you see, there's this thirst.
this insatiable hunger
to create.
to make art.

and so 
i shall unabashedly 
tell them when they ask
and tell myself when i wonder
and when i forget,

this--

that when it all boils down to it,

i am an artist:

it's
when i raise my voice in singing.
when i sew a summer dress.
when i form dough into a loaf.
when i place flowers in a jug.

i am an artist: 

in the way i move my body
when i dance and swim
and stretch and run.

i am an artist: 

when i put my eyeshadow on.
when i design the vegetable garden.
when i articulate, formulate, and express 
the thoughts and feelings
of my heart and mind.

i am an artist:

when i dream at night.
when i create a photograph 
with my vision and eyes and camera.
when i let a massage flow out of me.
when i arrange a salad just so for supper.
when i form a moving picture in my mind 
from the books i read.
when i create a mood.
when i create a home.

i am a creator:

most of all,
which is really 
the sweetest 
and most artistic
of all,

when i  form sacred partnership
with god,
co-creating these five flesh and bone
bodies,
housing these five magnificent and eternal
spirits.

and i create,
still,
when i mother them and 
when i teach them and
when i love them.

an artist.
a creator.
the be-all and the end-all.

this is who i am
and this is what i do.


1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    I always enjoy reading your lovely words, and today especially.....it's like you're in my head.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete