Sunday, March 30, 2014

post-op thoughts



Since I had to come down and write the kids their Sunday emails, I thought I'd pop in and say hi.
It feels so good to finally come downstairs after being cooped up in my in bed for three days.
It's amazing how good it feels.
My surgery went well.
I went to the hospital (you can see the back of it from my front porch) at 7:30 Thursday morning
and was home that afternoon.
Keith took the day off and Friday as well.
He's been such a good nurse.
I honestly don't know what I would have done
without his care.
Here's some "for instances"
(so I'll never forget):

When I was coming out of the anesthesia and was shaking uncontrollably, he was there by my side,
sweetly stroking my hair,
whispering "Em, just take deep breaths like you do in your yoga."
Him quietly wiping away my tears when the pain started kicking in and I was kind of loopy
and that moment I was so overcome with the love and prayers that I felt so powerfully from those that love me.
Him carrying me up the stairs
and constantly checking in on me throughout the days and into the nights;
anticipating and meeting any need I might have.
Stroking my hair again and cleaning my face and then having to dump my own throw-up bowl when I was so sick from the heavy-duty pain meds. 
His steady hand and steady presence whenever he hears the sound of the crutches. 
And to make bathing easier for me, his idea of rigging up a food storage bucket with a cushy garden pad for me to sit on in the bathtub, my bandaged foot dangling over the side
and then his holding me
while toweling off my wet, shivering body. 
Picking up and taking kids where they need to be.
Watching Napoleon Dynamite with us Friday night and then making a special trip (his idea and his persistence) when I laughed and said how tater tots sounded really good and when he couldn't find any, bringing me back a basket of  sweet potato fries and a bean burrito because he knew that would taste good to me, too.
For him doing the laundry and my/our taxes and the dishes. 
Cooking dinner last night and then bringing it all up to the bedroom so I could eat with everyone.
For his late night run to the grocery store last night.
Running the show and holding down the fort in addition to all that he's doing for me.

I'm so touched with the love I've felt from him.
For the nurturing we all felt from Mama and Mane's
pots of soup and loaves of bread.
For the neighbors bringing in a taco salad meal.
For phone calls and emails and prayers and kindness.
For the total wow of my wonderful and thoughtful doctor having a box of gourmet cupcakes and a (personalized notes from all his office staff) get-well card
delivered to my door that evening after my surgery.
For a comfortable bed and fluffy pillows propped.
For stacks of library books (I'm in the middle of my second novel) and DVDS.
For Netflix documentaries and Pinterest fun.
For Isaac entertaining me with our (many, many) games of Rummikub and his trying to get a reaction out of me by throwing his rubber snake on my bed.
For his sweet thoughtfulness when he brought up a cup of tea for me he made all by himself.
For Sam's smile with his gift of that bag of Twizzlers he bought at his work vending maching.
For the comforting sounds of Eliza on the piano.
For blossoming trees and springtime at last.
For the joy and excitement that I can finally
get out there once again and take it all in.
For what it means to surrender to slow and to rest.
For what it means to be on the receiving end.
For healing and for hope
and for never ending love.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, that Keith he sure is sweet! And your doctor sent you gourmet cupcakes, Wow! You are very well taken care of Emily. So very nice.

    ReplyDelete