Thursday, May 15, 2014

this week in my kitchen


Hello, friends! Joining the fun with Heather of Beauty That Moves This Week in My Kitchen blog hop.

Here's a peek...





Happy belated Mother's Day to all you wonderful women! If you are a mother or not, I hope your day was filled with love and good food. 

It's been fun to see some new readers to my blog-- especially regarding this blog hop. As always, I thank you for your visits, and for the kind comments you've left in previous "This Week In My Kitchen" posts.

Here are some of the week's highlights:

:: I hosted my family here for Mother's Day on Sunday. While the rest of the family ate their barbecued beef sandwiches, I enjoyed these instead:  Quinoa and Roasted Squash Salad  (from Karen Tews' website Real Food Matters) and  Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad  (placed and wrapped in lettuce leaves.) Both so good. With the quinoa salad, I changed it up a little by switching the squash for sweet potatoes and the pomegranate seeds with halved grapes. 

:: speaking of Mother's Day, Keith generously gave me some money to choose some gifts I would like. I headed to our local Bosch Kitchen store and picked out some things I've been wanting. I left with a spiralizer tool which creates "noodles" from vegetables. This will be great when the summer squashes start producing (endlessly!) this summer. I've already tried my hand at making a really delicious Creamy Miso Ginger Sauce  to coat some zucchini noodles. I think for lunch today I want to try something involving sweet potatoes.

I also picked out two baking "cloches" (an oblong and a round)-- covered stoneware pottery which produces wonderful artisan bread. Especially getting the crust and texture I've wanted to achieve. I was so pleased with the way these loaves turned out. This is going to be fun!

:: green smoothies every morning. (feeling the need for more raw and more greens).

:: Cabbage Noodle Stir Fry

:: High Protein Energy Bites 

:: to go along with my bread for dinner last night, I "veganized" an old family favorite: Mexican White Bean Chowder. Adding in potatoes and frozen corn instead of the turkey chunks, and unsweetened almond milk to replace the evaporated milk. I think it turned out even better than before.

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely kitchen. I love the basket atop the dresser. Everything looks delicious especially the noodles. Thanks for the links. I'd like to try the Energy Bites too, I like that they use Maple syrup rather than sugar.
    Thank you for letting us peep into your kitchen.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Emily. I just read about your swollen foot and wondered if Turmeric tea may help. You may already drink it but it's supposed to excellent for inflammation in the body. You can make from the root or powder and hot water and then add other to taste like honey, lemon or ginger.

    Just a thought...
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby, for your good suggestion and kindness! This sounds like a great idea. I knew that turmeric is helpful for inflammation, but I hadn't thought of making a tea out of it. I'll try it! xo

      Delete
  3. Hi! Your homemade bread looks sooooooooooooo good! Beautiful photos! - Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Emily,
    Yes! to the green smoothie and more raw! I shared a review on a very good "raw" book on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful stoneware. Your bread looks delicious! That tool that cuts everything into noodles sounds pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always look forward to your Thursday posts!!! Also... I need a cloche, I love baking bread. The Artisan Rye is our favorite! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks exactly like the type of soup I'm craving lately. Love your pictures and the food on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, for lunch today I made one of the salads you posted last week, thai quiona sans cashews, love that dressing. And you know it was mostly from reading your archives when you were doing the green smoothie class...that I started to ALWAYS add greens to my smoothies. It really takes on a ritual status, getting that shot of good stuff in the morning! You're too cool....

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMM. I covet BOTH your quinoa salad and your pottery. Those chicken roasters are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my spiralizer- I use it all summer long. The cloches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my... your foods! The cloches! your photos! Make me hungry. I'll have to try your salad. Thanks for sharing this week again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quinoa has become a favorite around here, I'll have to give your recipe a try. Everything looks so good and those cloches are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so delicious! I'm just beginning to experiment with quinoa and your salad looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete