Thursday, May 29, 2014

this week in my kitchen


Hello, friends! Joining the fun with Heather of Beauty That Moves This Week in My Kitchen blog hop.

Here's a peek...





These two photos don't even come close to documenting all the good things that have come out of my kitchen this week. It's kind of pathetic, I know. I have cooked my guts out, and couldn't even slow down enough to take some pictures. But I did want to pop in and share a bit of what's been happening here in the heart of my home.

:: with my son Gary's return from Finland last Thursday, (I'm still on cloud nine having him home at last.) we had a packed house on Sunday after he spoke in church. So many family and friends coming to support and be with us to welcome him home. All throughout that week, I had been baking cookies to stick in the freezer. Peanut butter, oatmeal chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip, oatmeal raspberry bars, lemon bars, cupcakes (with little Finish flags we made to top them with). I was a baking machine! Then I really got to work on Friday and Saturday. So grateful for the help my sister Liz gave me as we worked side by side peeling 10 pounds of potatoes for a huge bowl of potato salad. (Nana's famous recipe.) 

We had quite the spread with even more salads, meats and cheeses to go with the 8 pans of homemade rolls my mother and I made, homemade salsas and dips, etc. I was so thankful for even more food brought in from my kind neighbors and close friends. As is always the case, we did have a lot of leftovers (I always feel it best to prepare too much than not enough.), but they were put to good use the next day for our extended family Memorial Day picnic. (So fun to have all my dad's siblings together for the first time in many years. Oh, the stories and the laughter that were shared!)

:: between the end of the school year events, the boy cousins going together one night this week to see the Lego Movie, and other commitments we each have had, I haven't seemed to make dinner a formal affair this week. Grateful again for the leftovers coming to the rescue as I've just been so wiped out as far as cooking goes. I did make dinner one night this week when it was only myself and Eliza at home and it was really nice to eat outside on the picnic table on the deck. I'm really looking forward to eating our meals outdoors as summer approaches. It's one of my favorite things about the season.

:: a Taiwanese friend of my friend is heading there tomorrow and it was wonderful to be able to put together a birthday package yesterday for her to deliver to Jane. I knew how much she'd appreciate some homemade goodies-- some of her favorites like a bag of granola, a batch of Maple Tamari Roasted Almonds (a favorite from one of Heather's workshops), and a pan of Lunchbox Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Forks Over Knives cookbook). I hope that through these gifts of food, she will feel of her mother's love.

:: Eliza is having some friends over tonight to make sushi. Tomorrow is Sam's high school graduation, and we have another family party to attend on Saturday. My house is kind of in chaos-- room switch-a-roos with Gary's return.  (he's settled in my sewing room until he goes back to college in August.) and now  it looks like I'll have to spend today organizing and finding temporary homes for all my stuff.

Busy, but good times here at my house!  


4 comments:

  1. Your kind of busy and kitchen frenzy sounds like a very good thing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A busy but love filled time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy time, but lot of love to share!! And everything sounds so yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete