Thursday, May 8, 2014

this week in my kitchen

Hello, friends! Joining the fun with Heather of Beauty That Moves This Week in My Kitchen blog hop.
 
Here's a peek...
 




What a busy, full, and exciting week this has been for me. Much of my time spent out in my yard. Raking leaves, weeding, pruning, clearing out, planting and potting flowers. Preparing the garden beds and planting some of the cool weather crops. Hoping to get to the rest of the planting soon. I have such high hopes for my garden this year.

I've also been trying to prepare for the homecoming of my missionary son Gary who returns two weeks from today! (I haven't seen or hugged him for two years if you can believe it.) And just yesterday, my son Samuel received his own special letter in the mail announcing where it is that he will serve his own two year mission come August. We had a housefull last night (I'll be hosting Mother's Day here on Sunday-- busy, crazy kitchen times!) and spent yesterday afternoon baking and preparing treats in celebration.

It looks like it's outside in the dirt or in the kitchen with apron donned for the next few weeks. My two favorite places to be!

Here are some highlights:

:: Yakisoba Japanese-style noodles (Eliza's special requested birthday and Sunday dinner) A simple stir-fry with cabbage, grated carrot, cubed tofu, and a teriyaki sauce I made up as I went along.

:: Vegan Coconut Lemon Bundt Cake (her birthday cake. We all loved it.)

:: "Navajo Tacos" (or open faced tacos) on Monday in honor of Cinco de Mayo. So exhausted after working all day in the garden, and since I had some leftover bread dough in the fridge, I quickly fried up some rounds (More like thick tortillas. Isaac rolled them out for me.) and we loaded them up with canned refried beans and all the usual taco fixings. Easy and fun.

:: Curried Chickpeas (one of the many lovely recipes from my participation in Heather's 30 Day Vegan workshop. My experience in these offerings have been life changing! I can't recommend this enough if you are interested in the idea of a plant-based, whole foods diet.)

:: OMG Walnut Sauce over steamed kale (from Rip Esselstyn's My Beef With Meat. I think I have a crush on this hunka-wunka guy.)

:: more Chewy Chocolate Chunk Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (a repeat from last week. Liked them so much.) for last night's gathering, along with a Texas brownie sheetcake I've made for years. Store bought Snickerdoodles 'cause I ran out of time...

5 comments:


  1. Everything looks so good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks so pretty and good and the chick peas also... yum! I really like the photo of the lemon, nice light. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your shoes. They look most comfy for working in the kitchen.
    Everything looks delicious and your cake is so pretty.
    I can imagine how excited you must be to see your son again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely food...and hey, great shoes! I'm so glad that you are in the midst of so much celebration.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete