Monday, June 30, 2014

bye, bye boot!



I went back to the foot doctor today. Knowing that it normally takes a fracture about 6 to 8 weeks to heal, and me off (well, mostly) my foot and using the scooter and crutches for almost a month, I was a little nervous.

Well, friends, I experienced one of the happiest moments of my life today.

No sign of any crack as we looked over and over at the x-rays. The bone spur, even, attached back. "This really is rather remarkable," my doctor told me as I sat there stunned and overjoyed, almost in a state of disbelief.  Like it was all just too good to be true.

With a little trepidation, but with a smile that went from ear to ear, I walked-- one shoe off and one shoe on-- slowly out to my car; my foot still a little tender and not used to bearing weight for so long.   

And I sat in the car and just wept.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" coming out of my mouth with this, my own little miracle.
These hopes and this heart understood. 
These prayers and pleas answered.

The kids cheered when I got home. Their own smiles and their own joy matching mine. "You can do stuff again, Mom!" Isaac beamed, hugging me tight. 

So in the spirit of celebration, I treated myself to a pedicure this afternoon. I think it's been three years since the last time I had one. So nice, especially for this poor problematic foot (that unfortunately has been the object of so much frustration and negative emotion from me) to receive some nurturing touch and pampering.

And now tonight (knock on wood) I guess I can say goodbye 
to that ugly, cumbersome boot! Goodbye crutches and speedy scooters (the red one and the black one) and motorized grocery store shopping carts! Goodbye to years of chronic pain and limping and trailing behind!

Hello to wearing two shoes instead of one! Hello to the delicious freedom of going barefoot on my wood floors and out on the grass! Hello to weeding the garden and going on after dinner walks! Hello to early morning runs! Hello to giving massages!

Thank you, thank you, thank you...


2 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!!! Free at last, free at last!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hooray! This is great news, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete