Thursday, October 16, 2014

this week in my kitchen


Hello, friends! Joining the fun with Heather of Beauty That Moves This Week in My Kitchen blog hop.

Here's a peek...




It's been awhile since I've done this type of post. There's something always happening in my kitchen, but a lot of the time I forget to stop and take photos. Today, I found the inspiration to share! 

The kids are on Fall Break for the rest of the week, (Isaac has Monday off, too.) so with the kids sleeping in this morning, I found myself in a creative, relaxed, and homey kind of mood. And since it's all about pumpkins these days, I decided to have a bit of fun with some new recipes: a Pumpkin Pie Granola and a batch of gluten-free pumpkin muffins. Last week I made a delicious pumpkin-apple soup I sort of adapted from two different recipes.  

For the last month or so, I've pretty much been planning my meals and recipes exclusively from the two cookbooks I recently ordered from the Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen. These have been wonderful resources for our exploration of gluten-free cooking. I love the whole food emphasis and vegetarian elements, especially. 

I love to eat seasonally. Along those lines, how could it be autumn without apples? We've made a couple of apple crisps recently (Keith would be happy if I made one every day), and Isaac keeps begging me to bake an apple pie. Hearty one pot meals have been taking center stage, too. Last night I made a pot of pinto bean-quinoa chili (I think it tasted better today for lunch) and a pan of cornbread. Cozy, warming kind of meals. 

My girls took care of dinner a few nights this week, and I not only welcome the break, but am always so excited to feast on their creative talents. Eliza prepared a nice spaghetti dinner on Sunday and Jane made a delicious pineapple curry the other night. 

And on Monday night, I made a yummy peanut sauce to top over what's known as a "Buddha Bowl"-- a nourishing, beautiful, and simple "meal in a bowl". (My girls, especially, love eating their food from a bowl with their chopsticks.) Think of it more as a concept, really. You start with a base like brown rice, pasta, or quinoa, add a protein (this night was some baked tofu and chickpeas) and top it with cooked and/or raw vegetable or greens. For us it was some steamed asparagus (seasoned with lemon, garlic, and Bragg's) and chopped sweet red pepper. Drizzle on a favorite sauce and there you go. So delicious. We all agreed that night that we should plan a lot of our meals this way. A simple, yet delicious way of eating.

The garden has been so neglected. I still have tomatoes hanging on withering vines, potatoes to dig, and cabbages to salvage. Etc, etc. I try to not feel guilty about it all-- letting go (the lesson of my life this year) and accepting my limitations. It was nice to go out this morning to the garden and return with basket full of beautiful food. Sometime soon I'd like to roast the tomatillos (still on the vine!) with some onions, garlic, and peppers. We all love a good green chili salsa.

P.S. In other news, I'm wearing two shoes now! Even been on a few walks with my doctor's go-ahead. I'm slow and still experiencing some pain (probably related to the surgery and previous stress fracture), but feeling "cautiously optimistic". Keeping fingers (and toes!) crossed...


5 comments:

  1. Glad for the good report that you're up and going! I need more apples. Our local place that has them cheap upped their prices this year, so I've not had as many as usual. For shame. I NEED some apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you took the time to take photographs and share them with us. They are beautiful. I'm always happy to learn of new gluten free recipes. The quinoa chilli sounds delicious. We love beans and had a big batch of rose cocoa beans (don't you just love that name?) with tamarind paste, served with lemon juice and a little olive oil this week. It's a great economical family dish that we make often, especially as the autumn days draw in.
    Thanks for letting us peep into your kitchen.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate being able to read through your archives as you made the adjustment...three of my eight family members were diagnosed wtih Celiacs last month. We are definitely in a transitional period. I'm not super happy with how the meals are going right now, but I know it will come with time. I am SO happy you're back in two shoes! What a long healing it has been for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah! 2 shoes, I'm so happy for you. This is such a long time coming. Sometimes you forget how easy some meals can be....budda bowls....of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your peaceful and beautiful post! and am so happy for your "two shoes" "graduation"! Buddha bowls are a fabulous concept, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete