Saturday, November 15, 2014

nice and easy


After a night altering between deep sleep, way too vivid dreaming, being semi-awake and semi-conscious of yet another episode of perimenopausal night sweats, I found myself wide awake at four o'clock this morning. My body is still trying to adapt to daylight savings, I guess.


About an hour later, Jane, who is also an early riser, quietly came into the bedroom and we had a nice, long talk. 

So happy for her happiness. 

As Keith later joined the conversation, I found myself slipping away, deliciously, to more time in dreamland. A rare treat and amazed to see I slept in until after eight. 

That little indulgence sort of set the tone for the rest of the day. A conscious intention to make this Saturday one of quiet and slow, nice and easy.

I soon set out for my walk, bundled up to face the chill. Hoping I'd see the large group of grazing deer in the neighboring field again like I have for the past two days. The day I first drove past them, I could hardly believe what I was seeing. Especially that magnificent buck with his huge antlers boldly standing there so majestically; looking right at us as we sat in the car. Another reminder that I need to have my camera with me at all times.

After returning home from my walk, I decided to head out for a photo-drive. A scavenger hunt for the beauty of my world. 

My kind of play.


More play in the kitchen this afternoon. 

A big pot of soup ("Moroccan Chickpea and Potato") to carry us through the weekend, and with the box of apples I picked up at the fruit stand a few weeks ago, of course, an apple pie was in order. 



A first time trying my hand at making a gluten-free one. (A trial run for Thanksgiving.) Handling and forming that delicate crust was a little tricky, and I honestly had my doubts on how it would turn out, but I'm telling you, this pie was absolutely delicious. Perfection. (I wish I could serve you up a slice!) The crust incredibly light and flaky-- probably the best apple pie I've ever eaten. 

Usually I get kind of grinchy when it comes to Christmas music before the holiday season officially is here (and for me, that means I prefer to wait until after Thanksgiving to really savor it all), but today I succumbed (reluctantly) when the girls put some holiday tunes on Pandora. It just felt natural, as we were all in a homey, cozy, relaxed mood. 

The boys heading off to a college football game and the girls spending time with friends, it looks like I'll get to finish the movie (Shadowlands- an all-time favorite. "C.S. Lewis, a world-renowned Christian theologian, writer and professor, leads a passionless life until he meets a spirited poet from the U.S.Have you seen it? ) I started last night but didn't finish.


Thanks for letting me share my Saturday with you, my friend. Wishing you a weekend full of smiles, with lots of nice and easy, too. Thanks so much for stopping by.

xo

4 comments:

  1. Those boots for walking? lol
    I love your boots, are they comfortable on your feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cute boots (and skinny legs!) belong to my daughter Jane, Ramona. I've worn them once and they are comfy, but probably not for a long walk. :)

      Delete
  2. C.S. Lewis is a favorite, I love his apologetics. I did not, however, enjoy Shadowlands, I didn't like how he was portrayed. Did you finish it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did. I actually adore (more like crush!) how he is portrayed by Anthony Hopkins. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete