Sunday, August 16, 2015

California Vacation: Mill Valley and Muir Woods


It's been a little over two weeks since I've posted. Time for an update! There's so much I'd like to share.

Keith and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in May. As we both were in need of a vacation and time away together, we quickly formulated a plan last month to head out after the wedding and before the start of the new school year (The kids go back this week.). 

Our plan was to drive to the San Francisco bay area and then for the next ten days, travel down the beautiful and scenic California coast (Pacific Coast Highway 1) to Los Angeles where Isaac and Eliza would fly to join us for the last five days of our two week vacation. Our itinerary would include stops in Mill Valley/Sausalito, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, and ending our vacation with the children in San Clemente. 

As you can imagine, our trip was memorable and special. Beautiful and interesting things to see, explore, and experience, comfortable places to lodge, relaxation and fun and just good to get away.



view from the harbor of charming Sausalito

We used airbnb to find our accommodation rentals. Some of the places we stayed were small apartments and others were studio rooms off the main houses of our hosts. Comfortable, quiet, private, clean, and very affordable, we couldn't have been happier with the experience. 

The day after we arrived, we visited Muir Woods. This national park was one place I was especially excited to explore. 


Here's a little description of the day from an email I sent home to the kids:

Just thought I'd send you some photos of our little walk around Muir Woods. We went to church at noon, came back to our rental, changed, and drove 5 minutes to a shuttle bus that takes you up a winding road (reminds me a lot of that bus drive around Sintra) to the magical, ancient forest. 

There were a lot of tourists. Almost everyone was speaking some foreign language. It was really neat... families enjoying time together.

I felt like I wanted to cry. It was so surreal. Like we were in a movie set. So beautiful and serene and a reverent, holy stillness. I just wanted to walk slowly to take in every detail. It was kind of a little too much for me. haha. You have to stay on these boardwalk paths. The perfect lighting coming through the towering treetops. It was hard for me to take it all in. Dad was patient with my photo taking moments. :)

We are having such a nice time together. Our little place is very comfortable and quiet. Has a zen feeling about it...haha.. the owner indicated in a little book left on the kitchen table that her home is "completely organic, no synthetics, and non-toxic" -- including the mattress and furniture, wood floors and rugs. I had a nice cup of herbal tea (most of the hosts provided small baskets of treats to make our visit special. Such delightful, thoughtful hospitality.) before dad woke up. The houses are all on the sides of little hills reminding me of what the French Riviera might be like and we are surrounded by green and trees. The air smells like  a eucalyptus grove. I love it...



Next up: we explore San Francisco...



1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear you had a lovely vacation. I love reading about it and seeing your photos. You guys are so good about celebrating your anniversaries and making time for one another. The picture of tiny little you amongst those huge trees...wow! Sure looks magical. I'd love it there. I look forward to your next post....

    ReplyDelete