Wednesday, September 30, 2015

so long, september


September is a month of new beginnings for me. In fact, in my minds eye I see it as the beginning point of the year turning (counter clock-wise, for some reason) on this cosmic wheel of life.

It's a time of getting back to routine and rhythm which I find brings a comforting sense of security. September, this first month of autumn, signaling a feeling of turning inward and slowing down after a summer filled with activity and expansion. A harvest and a gathering in every sense of the word. A time of personal evaluation and deep introspection.

My September days have been quiet and simple. I wake early and head down to prepare school lunches and breakfast. I send my family off to their own activities. I run most days and relish these pleasant mornings that feel just right-- cool, yet comfortable enough to still wear shorts and a t-shirt. I tidy and putter or might be inspired to bake in this now fully functional oven. A pot of soup might simmer on the stove while I read.

A lot of my reading and study has been on the topic of creativity. Feeling such a desire and urging to better develop and understand this aspect of my life. How I can activate and invite inspiration to play a more dominant role in my life. Which I've now determined is a huge source of my personal happiness, identity, and sense of fulfillment. 



These powerful words from Elizabeth Gilbert's book Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear really resonated with me this afternoon:

Creative Living, Defined

So this, I believe, is the central question which creative living hinges: Do you have the courage to bring forth the treasures that are hidden within you?

Look, I don't know what's hidden within you. I have no way of knowing such a thing. You yourself may barely know, although I suspect you've caught glimpses. I don't know your capacities, your aspirations, your longings, your secret talents. But surely something wonderful is sheltered inside you. I say this with all confidence, because I happen to believe we are all walking repositories of buried treasure. I believe this is one of the oldest and most generous tricks the universe plays on us human beings, both for its own amusement and for ours: The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.

The hunt to uncover those jewels-- that's creative living.

The courage to go on that hunt in the first place-- that's what separates the mundane existence from a more enchanted one.

The often surprising results of that hunt-- that's what I call Big Magic.


And finally, I would have to say that the biggest highlight, surprise, and joy of this month has been my painting. I've felt so compelled to begin this journey back to the world of visual art. Not just admiring other artists and their work, but finally being able to develop my own gifts as an artist. (I now can proudly say that I am an artist!) 

After all these years that have passed from the days of my young womanhood, something I've never felt a desire to do until this month. An undertaking I thought so frightening, intimidating, and overwhelming. But my muse won't let up! Thoughts and images of what to paint come to me as I'm running in the mornings or when I'm dreaming at night. It is deeply healing work, exhilarating work, fulfilling work, and happy work. A wondrous and  interesting and curious thing to see how all of this is unfolding in my life.

These last three images from my most recent painting: 
"To the Deep"

Lots of excavating and layering expressing both the physical and emotional aspects of this painting.





4 comments:

  1. You are doing a fine job on that life of yours. How blessed are you to be able to find and tap into your "Big Magic" I like, in your quote when it said the universe buries talents within us then stands back and watches to see if we can find them. Good thought, I think I need the "Hide & Seek for dummies" book to find my talents! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great treasure-cave of wonderful sights to savor! It's an absolute surfeit of beautiful things---the fleeting and fading, and the lasting all mingling into one lovely collection.

    I so love that old GMC---it's a reminder and a symbol and an old work-horse of a vehicle. I can just smell the opening of the door, as you slide onto that dusty seat, moving a wrench, a battered glove, a sat-on checkbook, and the waft of oil and old carpet and an unscraped boot comes up from the floor.

    So evocative of FALL, and such a delightful gallery of the closing-in.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice post. I always enjoy your beautiful photographs. And your paintings are stunning. I have always wanted to paint. Maybe I'll finally have the time. Probably not, because I have more books to write! Good to see you last week.

    ReplyDelete