Thursday, November 19, 2015

currently



realizing:: that Thanksgiving is just a week from today. Need to get in gear for the holidays which will be here before I know it. 

working:: such a satisfying feeling to get most of the front yard raked this morning. Still lots more to do before the (real) snow flies.

eating:: Sloppy (lentil) Joe topped with leftover cole slaw for my lunch a little bit ago. These two flavors combined = yum-o.

watching:: gathered with Keith and Isaac Saturday night to watch Finding Neverland. That little Peter just kills me with his tenderness, cuteness, and superb acting.

reading:: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Smith). Enjoying this engaging, beautifully written book so very much. I can't believe I've missed out on this one until now.

listening:: soundtrack to Memoirs of a Geisha. Lovely.

creating:: haven't done anything with my art this week besides watching some instructional videos. I realized I needed a few supplies I couldn't find locally and am excited to begin soon now that my Blick order arrived today. Being more committed to my sketchbook has been on my mind a lot recently, but I'm finding it a little difficult to let go of my feelings of fear and inadequacy and just go for it.

going:: to see Isaac perform as Puck from Midsummer Night's Dream in his school play this evening.

playing:: Rummikub on Sunday, checkers on Monday, Battleship last night-- why is it that Isaac beats me every. single. time??

wondering:: what the morning commuters must think of this odd and interesting woman (in coat and pajama pants) pulled over to the side of the road taking photos of weeds, trees, cows, and farmer's fields...

1 comment:

  1. Chiming in late on this post---I SO love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and you'll also love I Remember Mama, which reminds me so much of that one, though it's about a Scandanavian family in San Francisco---somewhere in California, I think.

    And one I was just telling Chris of just this week, and that I remember fondly from reading in High School---Maggie Now. A young Irish woman in a tenement neighborhood, again in New York.

    There's another hard-to-find one which I discovered several years ago---all these seem to be of the same close-family, not-much-money, but lots of principles and love: First We Have Coffee---it was such a mark of maturity and achievement to have a cup of coffee with Mama, and this one is much the same.

    Now, if you're not internationally confused, believe me, they're good, wholesome wonderful books, with a sense of comfort and home, all told through a daughter's eyes, with a strong, stalwart Mama making the best of a hard life for her children.

    And one more---Agnes Sligh Turnbull's Gown of Glory, of a small-town minister's family at the turn of last century---she's a lifetime favorite, and this is the sweetest story of hers.

    I wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving---we're promised SNOW!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete