Monday, November 2, 2015

Introduction to Pastels- Still Life and Color: Week 2



Still plugging along and learning lots...

1. Pastels are pretty messy, but messy is sometimes necessary.

2. Elliptical shapes are not my forte or cup of tea... for now.

3. The more you practice, the easier it becomes.

4. The more I loosen up and relax, the more things seem to flow and work.

5. Texture, rich shades, and intense, earthy colors are what I seem to gravitate towards. I see it all around me-- in the clothes I wear, in the decorating and furnishings I've brought into my home, the color of car I drive, my love of autumn leaves, etc.

6. In my view, expression and mood trumps technical perfection, although I wholeheartedly see the necessity of knowing and mastering the skills of the artist. Need to keep reminding myself that what I'm doing here is not photography.



Expressive still life
using black, gray, white, plus two colors

A series of still life color studies...

Monochromatic
black, white, and one primary color

Achromatic
black, whites, grays, very limited color

Narrow analogous color scheme
three or four colors next to each other on the color wheel

Wide analogous color scheme

Complimentary color scheme

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your talent Emily. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete