Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Pastel Portraits: Week Two



:: Man. This process feels like I'm wrestling a bear. (Similar to when I'm writing a poem.) But if I sweat through it and stick to it, the magic (sometimes!) starts to materialize. 

:: It's easy to look at the completed drawing and get hung up on the flaws and imperfections. But I'm learning to appreciate them for what they are. Seeing the good qualities and gently noting to myself what I've learned and how I can improve next time. It's a learning process that I believe every artist and creator (and really, each of us as human beings) experiences. 

:: So many things at work here all at once: My head, my eyes, my hand. Form, tones, colors, and line. The expression, mood, and emotion of the subject and of the drawing itself. All of what it is I'm trying to capture now coming to creation on the paper.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, they are just incredible! I think you are having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is amazing! I love watching your progress through the class.

    ReplyDelete