Friday, November 6, 2015

Still Life, Introduction to Place, and Drawing Individual Features: Week 2



:: Finding that I dislike the toothy texture of pastel paper. Gessoed drawing paper with a layer of bright color seems like it's working better for me. Working smaller (These still lifes here measured 6 in. x 6 in. I think next time I'll increase the size to 9 x9 and see how that goes.) seems less intimidating and more manageable (at this point) than having to fill up a huge page of my drawing pad. 

:: Found it a little difficult to to make my place drawings more abstract than I wanted and which was the direction to go with the lesson. I guess it's all about letting go and not being so stuck on depicting the image.

:: Discovering that the camera is a really helpful tool to be able to "see".

:: I'm pretty pleased with the work I've done this week. This definitely is work.


2 comments:

  1. Amazing, Emily, as always. Loving the pepper and garlic! Also, that first eye - wow - is it your own eye? Looks like it, it's beautiful. And paper is such a weird thing! Oddly, I too really enjoy small paper pieces for my watercolors, somehow small pieces feel like instant gratification. I'm so glad you're sharing your progress and thoughts, I enjoy sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, My Goodness!

    You have such an eye for depth and highlight---I can see the fat contours of pepper and pears, and the perspective of that enticingly/forbiddingly--ajar door, and I CAN LOOK INTO THAT EYE! That's simply uncanny.

    I don't know how that's done, but you've got the touch.

    Marvelous.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete