Thursday, December 10, 2015

currently

Thoughts gathered and written over the last few days...




pondering:: "To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries, avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable. ~ C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

laughing:: conversation yesterday between me and Isaac after picking him up from school and heading out again to get Eliza: 
Me: "Why don't you start your math, take Lucy out, and get your room picked up while I'm gone, okay, Charlie?" 
Isaac: "Why do you call me all these names, Mom? Charlie, Bodge, Roger, Vern..." 
Me: "Because I'm nutso, " I laugh as I rush out the door.
Isaac (a few seconds later, calling out from the porch): "You're a little nutso, and a little nutso is good!"

smelling:: can't get enough of the spruce-scented bar of soap I've been using the last few days. 

listening:: to the sweet sound of Isaac practicing his violin.


enjoying:: the warm drink station I created again this year. So handy, cozy, and inviting.

homekeeping:: how nice it felt the other day to clear and clean out my closet. (Making room for Christmas surprises.) Hauling away those three bags of items that no longer "spark joy" feels so freeing.

eating:: sure was nice to pull out a bag of spaghetti sauce from the freezer (those summer tomatoes just keep on giving and giving!) yesterday morning to thaw when I knew I'd be gone most of the day and would need something easy to put together for dinner.

treating:: myself to the simple pleasure of stopping at the local small coffee shop last week after taking some packages to the UPS store. Giving myself a quiet moment (and an early birthday gift) to sit in the sun and sip a yummy peppermint hot chocolate.



wearing:: teal robe and warm slippers as I sit here by the fire.

returning:: with the little bit of a thaw we've had these mornings, it's sure been nice to get back to some running. It's been awhile. Trying also to return to the routine this winter of some gentle yoga and stretching before bed.

gravitating:: to just the right books the other day when redeeming my Barnes and Noble gift card. "Take me home! Choose me!" they seemed to be calling out.

reading:: couldn't resist choosing Kent Haruf's Our Souls at Night.  Such a sweet, tender, and honest little book.



delighting:: at these glorious pink sky sunrises while taking Eliza to school in the morning.

surprising:: I had a desire to send a Christmas gift (created from my heart and my hands) to someone I've been out of touch with for the last few years. A small token of appreciation and rememberance that I know would be a surprise. The gift and the delight it was for me to send it. And wouldn't you know it, the wonderful gift I received in return the next day, the evening of my birthday (even before that person received my package) to find a sweet unexpected Happy Birthday email sitting in my inbox. Seeing now that we both seemed to be on the same wave-length of each other all along. The poignant reminder that when you cast your bread upon the waters, it always comes back to you in one way or another.

gathering:: These early weeks in December have me going in all directions. Whew, seven different stores since Monday trying to gather things for an upcoming extended family Christmas party, my niece's bridal shower this weekend, as well as getting Sam's package ready to send. Today, I'll (thankfully) spend most of the day home in the kitchen preparing some treats to tuck in. Glad that I'll be able to meet the challenge of finding a way to accomodate his favorite treats to gluten, dairy, and nut-free.  

amazing:: The last time I was in this store, I was purchasing a few things to send to Jane on her birthday while she was serving as a missionary in Taiwan. The young college age woman helping me at the counter amazingly had a name tag that read "Jane". When I  said to her, "So you are a Jane, too!" and that I was sending these things to my own Jane, she smiled and replied that yes, her name was Jane, but sometimes she goes by Janie. With tears in my eyes, I quietly replied, "That's my pet name for my own Jane." 

Well, this time while I was standing in that same line purchasing some things to send to my missionary son Sam, wouldn't you know-- the young clerk's badge read "Samuel"... telling the gentleman before me that he goes by "Sam" most of the time.  

What a gift, this more-than-just-a-coincidence love note from a mindful, loving God.





1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, the clerk story was perfect! Sweet. Loved your love quote. Emily, check out fightmaster yoga on you tube. I love her, and she has soooo much, excellent quality videos on there.

    ReplyDelete